- 6 CPD Hours
- Estimated Completion Time: 6 Hours
- Certificate: Printable PDF on completion
- Approved Training for CPD Hours
The purpose of this Rural and Remote Emergencies program is to contribute to the provision of safe emergency care by improving processes of training and for supporting clinical staff in rural and remote health services. In Australia the provision of rural and remote face-to-face training is problematic in that it requires considerable commitment and resources to be sustained. Health facilities are isolated, staff are not always available and the continual reliance on agency staff to fill rosters means that the training needs to be repeated and as a consequence consistency becomes an issue.
This Program should be used as an adjunct to your organisation’s policies and procedures.
At the completion of this program, participants should be able to:
- Discuss the importance of an organised approach to rural and remote emergency management.
- Recognise and define an emergency situation.
- Access and interpret agency policies and procedures relevant to the delivery of care for rural and remote emergencies.
- Examine key communication responsibilities of the nurse to facilitate safe rural and remote emergency care.
- Discuss the importance of a structured trauma approach.
- Identify relevant resources within your workplace that must be maintained in the event of a rural and remote emergency
- Familiarize self with relevant equipment in the workplace.
- Apply the principles of emergency assessment to the acutely ill and traumatised patients who may present to the rural health care setting.
- Develop a consistent local response to the arrival of a rural and remote emergency across a 24 hour span.
- Discuss principles of triage and the role of the Australasian Triage Scale.
- Relate the process of emergency assessment to various sub-groups of the population.
- Apply best practice guidelines for clinical management of significant emergencies.
- Apply the theoretical principles of emergency management to examples of clinical scenarios, to reinforce learning and assess understanding.
- Evaluate own level of competence with relevant skills and knowledge related to rural and remote emergency management.
This interactive education program is suitable for any health care professional who may be required to assist in delivery of emergency care in any rural or remote setting.